John Piper on Suffering

I thought this 10 minute video was inspiring in light of American Christianity’s tendency (in some sectors) to imply that joining the people of God means blue skies and prosperity all the time. John Piper shares the glory of suffering for Christ with a packed audience of college students. Thanks to Russ Brown for sending this over.

7 Responses to “John Piper on Suffering”

1. on 27 Feb 2009 at 11:41 amVictor

That was very sobering and powerful. I have no clue what so many others are going through in the world – and I do not put my self in positions to suffer through loving someone or preaching. May this change for the glory of God.

2. on 27 Feb 2009 at 5:31 pmRich

Thanks Sean

I just had a discussion today with a Christian co-worker about easy-believism. I sent him this link – I know it will ring true for him.

It inspired me also.

Rich

3. on 08 Mar 2009 at 5:55 pmMonty

This was powerful and made me think, and touched me.

Monty

4. on 09 Mar 2009 at 4:00 amXavier

Suffering and persecution comes in many forms, nowadays its a spiritual battle against those western orthodox institutions.

I await the day the true Jesus and his gospel is mainstream…

Zach 14.9

5. on 09 Mar 2009 at 3:29 pmRay

I’m waiting for this to download right now. Yesterday I watched
    on TV Cory Ten Boom’s (spelling?) movie about the Nazi death camps, and I found myself saying, “If it took the lives of millions
    to suffer in order that a man like Adolf Hitler might possibly repent
    (and actually have the time to do so) then hell must be a most terrible place indeed.”

A powerful presentation of the gospel. Suffering will make us more
    like Jesus. Shouldn’t we want to be more like him? If I do not become like him, or if I am not willing to become like him, how will
    I ever be willing to come to him? How would I ever be willing to spend an eternity with him? How would I ever be able?

6. on 09 Mar 2009 at 5:54 pmXavier

Speak and sound like Jesus and pretty soon you will encounter persecution Ray.

“If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you…’A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours…because they do not know him who sent me…” John 15.18-25

7. on 10 Mar 2009 at 12:02 pmRay

In reading John 15:18-25, I remember how Satan hated Job and
    wanted to destroy him without cause. I wonder if Job was a part
    of Christ. He received of God by the spirit of wisdom that was in
    the world. Wasn’t Christ in that spirit?

No doubt Satan was disturbed by the ministry of Job. (see Job 29)
    No doubt Satan hated Job because his works were good and Satan’s works were evil. No doubt Satan had been working in the
    earth to cause confussion, error and unrighteousness against the
    servants of God, causing them to stumble when he could, in order
    to work against the righteousness of God as he worked in delivering the oppressed from injustice.

I think Satan would keep his work hidden if he could, but God knows all. God may keep his secrets hidden too as he doesn’t need
    to give account of his matters to anyone, but God does all for good.

No good man in history can avoid the sufferings of the cross whether they saw an actual real cross or not. The reality of it is
    still there in all of history.

We can not be perfected without suffering, and no man ever suffered without sins but Jesus.