Recently we had a discussion about the reliability of the New Testament.  In past discussions also, the work of Bart Ehrman has been cited, especially his book, Misquoting Jesus.  In a recent episode of the radio program, Unbelievable, Bart Ehrman himself has a discussion/debate with Bible scholar Peter Williams, who questions the validity of some of Ehrman’s points.  You can listen to it HERE.

Ehrman’s book Misquoting Jesus has been on the best seller list and has been influencing the views of many people regarding the texts of the Bible, especially the New Testament.  But while it gives a good introduction to the field of textual criticism in the first four chapters, his conclusions in subsequent chapters are at best overstated and misleading, according to those who have critiqued it.  Peter Williams, who debated Ehrman on Unbelievable, also has a further analysis of the book, which you can listen to and read HERE.

Daniel B. Wallace, the Executive Director for the Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts, has also written a very good critique of Ehrman’s book, which is reprinted on Ben Witherington’s blog, and you can read it HERE(You’ll want to overlook the Trinitarian thinking in this article, as the points about Ehrman’s book are still viable.)

NOTE: I personally have not read any of Ehrman’s books, and merely present these critiques as an alternative viewpoint to the citations of his works that have appeared on this site.

8 Responses to “Responses to “Misquoting Jesus””

1. on 15 Mar 2011 at 1:05 pmSean

Mark,

I read the rebuttal book, Misquoting Truth and found it to be very helpful (it was by Timothy Paul Jones). Once you know what Ehrmann is doing with the statistics about differences between manuscripts his argument really implodes. Don’t get me wrong, he does bring up some good issues (like being honest about later additions like the passage about the adulterous woman), but his work is sadly more the result of a clever marketing than pursuing truth. Ironically, his name means honest-man in German (Wolfgang will have to check me on this).

2. on 14 May 2011 at 1:28 pmDoubting Thomas

Mark C.
    I hope you guys are all being inspired and refreshed at the “One God Conference” in Atlanta. I have been trying to explain the concept of “Agency” to my friend Tim and I guess I’m not doing a very good job, because he says he doesn’t understand the concept behind it. He asked me if there was something he could read that would explain the concept of “Agency” in relation to Y’shua our Messiah and Teacher.

I’d appreciate it if you could give me a link to an article or something that explains the concept and it’s biblical basis so that I can forward it to him. I figured you’d be aware of the best web links on this subject. Again I hope everyone at the “One God Conference” is being blessed and inspired and are establishing new friendships that will last a lifetime…

3. on 14 May 2011 at 1:40 pmSean

DT,

Actually the One God Seminar with Ken Westby is not for two weeks…this weekend we are enjoying the Theological Conference in Atlanta w/ Anthony Buzzard and friends. Thanks for thinking of us though.

4. on 14 May 2011 at 4:54 pmDoubting Thomas

Sean,
    Ooops. Jaco had told me he was planning to go to the “One God Conference” and I had just noticed on his facebook page that he was currently in Atlanta. I didn’t realize that there was a Theological Conference going on as well. I hope God guides and blesses everyone at the Theological Conference, and that you all come away refreshed and inspired…

5. on 14 May 2011 at 5:24 pmSean

DT, actually Jaco is here too. I’ve really enjoyed getting to know him.

6. on 14 May 2011 at 9:46 pmRon S.

DT,

I had an article on Agency here on KR quite awhile back.

Check it out here:

Next year, you need to come to Atlanta with us for the conference!

🙂

7. on 14 May 2011 at 11:49 pmDoubting Thomas

Ron S.
    Thanks for the link. I had forgotten about that article. I have forwarded it to my friend Tim and I hope it answers any questions he might have on the subject. I’d love to come down to Atlanta next year, but I just can’t afford to take the time off work.

Thanks for the invite though… 🙂

8. on 14 Aug 2012 at 2:40 pmDT

You might be impressed about Isaac Newton’s work on the subject. I haven’t found too many scholars who would disagree with him.