Installment #3 in the series.

Biblical Common Sense – Jesus – “This is MY son”

There are two different events recorded in the New Testament where God himself vocally indicates that Jesus is His son. First at his baptism we have the accounts the three synoptic gospels.

Matt 3:16-171 After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and lighting on Him, and behold, a voice out of the heavens said, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased.”

Mark 1:10-11 Immediately coming up out of the water, He saw the heavens opening, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon Him; and a voice came out of the heavens: “You are My beloved Son, in You I am well-pleased.”

Luke 3:21-22 Now when all the people were baptized, Jesus was also baptized, and while He was praying, heaven was opened, and the Holy Spirit descended upon Him in bodily form like a dove, and a voice came out of heaven, “You are My beloved Son, in You I am well-pleased.”

The second account occurs at the transfiguration and is also recorded in the three synoptic gospels.

Matt 17:5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and behold, a voice out of the cloud said, “This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to Him!”

Mark 9:7 Then a cloud formed, overshadowing them, and a voice came out of the cloud, “This is My beloved Son, listen to Him!”

Luke 9:35 Then a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My Son, My Chosen One; listen to Him!”

In these six accounts of the two different events, we have a voice calling Jesus “His son”.  Common sense should tell us here that this voice belongs to God and that Jesus is NOT that God doing the speaking. The voice of God calls Jesus His Son.  The overall aspect of these two events much less the words given “My beloved Son” should easily provide common sense clues that Jesus and God are two separate entities. If not we have a deception on our hands of the highest order.  If Jesus was God – especially in an Oneness/”Jesus Only” sense then we are being tricked by a great act of ventriloquism. God would be performing an outright ruse to fool everyone into thinking that God and His Son were separate Father and Son entities. It would be a charade performed for the audience’s benefit (both to the people present to those events and to the many more who have read the record of those events since then in the written form of Scripture.

Biblical Common Sense Series:

1. Intro

2. Jesus – God’s Son

3. Jesus – “This is MY Son”

4. Jesus – The Anointed of God

5. Jesus – The Messiah is suppose to be…

6. Jesus – Jesus Was Seen!

7. Jesus – Two Adams

8. Jesus – Not Equal, Not the Same!

23 Responses to “Biblical Common Sense – Jesus – This is My Son”

1. on 24 Jun 2011 at 6:49 pmDoubting Thomas

Ron S,
    Great article, but I continue to be frustrated when trying to relate how I feel to other people. I have a friend that is a a fairly new Christian and he is very compassionate about his faith and is extremely committed to memorizing as many verses from the bible as he can (something that I was never very good at). He just can’t seem to accept the fact that I’m a Biblical Unitarian. It seems to bother him because he brings it up every time I see him.

He says he’s worried about my salvation. Just today he quoted Matthew 10:33, ” but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.” He keeps saying that because I deny Christ’s deity that I am denying Christ and that this will effect my salvation. I keep telling him I’m not denying Christ but he just doesn’t see it that way at all.

I really admire his strong faith, but I just wish people wouldn’t be so doggone determined to make other people believe exactly what it is they believe…

2. on 30 Nov 2011 at 8:37 pmMarc Taylor

The article reads:

“Common sense should tell us here that this voice belongs to God and that Jesus is NOT that God doing the speaking. ”

The Lord Jesus is not the Father.

3. on 31 Jul 2012 at 3:38 pmDT

@Doubting Thomas

Any chance you could go on to the following page

and post this as a response to the author.

I’ve raised many different points against her but she seems stuck on her Oneness position.

Blessings!

4. on 31 Jul 2012 at 5:55 pmDoubting Thomas

Hi DT,
    I copied and pasted the above post to her site. It looks like you have been dialogging with her for a very long time. You must have the patience of Job… 😉

5. on 31 Jul 2012 at 6:18 pmDT

@Doubting Thomas

Yeah. She’s stubborn.

6. on 01 Aug 2012 at 1:02 amDoubting Thomas

Hi DT,
    I’m sorry for the confusion. I just copied and pasted the O.P. from above on to her hub site. It seems to me that she might be rather close minded toward anything that you or I may post though… 🙁

7. on 01 Aug 2012 at 2:04 amtimothy

Doubting Thomas(actual),

Acts 5:
    20 Go, stand and speak in the temple to the people all the words of this life.

Timothy 🙂

8. on 01 Aug 2012 at 3:05 pmDoubting Thomas

Hi DT,
    Unfortunately it appears that Judah’s Daughter has deleted my post from last night. I don’t know why. I thought that I was being very respectful in my posting… 🙁

9. on 01 Aug 2012 at 3:35 pmtimothy

Doubting Thomas(actual),

Just want to let you know what my motive is for being here on KR. I do wonder what some others have for a motive since their post are so contrary to the truth about GOD(YAHWEH_DA BOSS) and his son and our lord(our BOSS) Jesus(Jeshuah).

I am sure that their jaded beliefs are from *wrong teaching* or just plane *ignorance* of the scriptures. These both can be corrected by right teaching. There is nothing wrong with being ignorant. Most are ignorant because they ignore the truth being taught. But to stay ignorant has eventual consequences.

1 Corinthians 12: (kjv)
    1 Now concerning spiritual matters, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.

However after all the instruction between 1 cor 12:1 and 1cor 15:40

1 Corinthians 14:
    38 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.

peithia=fully persuaded
    apeithia=refuses to be persuaded

1 Timothy 2: (kjv)
    2 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

My motive is to do GODs will by:

2 Timothy 4:
    2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.

GOD acknowledged Jesus as his son at his, Jesus’, baptism by John. And later at the “transfiguration” vision.

** Common sense should tell us here that this voice belongs to God and that Jesus is NOT that God doing the speaking.

The voice of God calls Jesus His Son.

If not we have a deception on our hands of the highest order.

It would be a charade performed for the audience’s benefit (both to the people present to those events and to the many more who have read the record of those events since then in the written form of Scripture.**

One may learn commonsense by studying Book of Proverbs, Jesus did.

Timothy 🙂

10. on 01 Aug 2012 at 3:40 pmDT

Yeah, she does that. Whenever you write something that she disagrees with, she calls it a “lie”, tells you that you do not have Christ, and assaults you for getting in the way of truth. I even posted her a response to her comment on Revelation 22:16.

Maybe a better way to go about dealing with her is starting with Titus 1:9 and asking her if she is certain that she holds to sound doctrine. Then moving on to 1 Timothy 6:3 and 1 Corinthians 14:33 and asking her if she believes God and Jesus speak in plain and simple terms (context demonstrates this is the meaning). Then finally, asking her, if these two texts (1 Tim. 6:3 and 1 Cor. 14:33) are true, then how could God have communicated to us better from John 20:17 that Jesus was the Father.

Good luck, and I’ll be praying for you!

11. on 02 Aug 2012 at 7:20 pmDT

Doubting Thomas,

Looks like she’s had it dealing with me. She’s tough to break.

DT

12. on 03 Aug 2012 at 6:04 amJaco

The Lord Jesus is not the Father.

He is not God either…for the same reason(s). Trinitarian equivocation alert!

13. on 03 Aug 2012 at 9:56 amSheryl

But my Trinitarian loved ones feel totally comfortable explaining that it was God the Father speaking to God the Son…that portion of God that became human. And since God is all-powerful He can do this (be parts of one and still one) and who are we to try to understand and explain the ways of God? It’s difficult to unravel years of indoctrination that has flooded nearly all western Christian culture.

Fellow soldiers: I’m trying to witness the revealed truth to my family. My sister goes to an orthodox evangelical church and says her pastor is the most loving, fruit-bearing, bible-believing person she’s known, and her fellow church members are also giving and loving…how could they possibly be deceived when they all pray for the truth?

14. on 03 Aug 2012 at 10:33 amSarah

Hi Sheryl,

I’m just curious, in your discussion with your family, have you tried explaining the historical development of the doctrine to show how it arose out of Greek philosophy?

I think traditional evangelicals are very hesitant to question something that’s been around for so long. I really believe if they were presented with some key historical facts, many people would be more open to re-evaluating the whole trinitarian model.

15. on 03 Aug 2012 at 2:44 pmSheryl

Yes Sarah, I have and that has made an impact. However, they refuse to flatly believe what I have told and shown them until they can speak to their pastor and get his take on it all. (so far he has been unresponsive.)

My brother-in-law, bless his heart, is pretty logical and told me I had a “formidable” argument against Trinitarianism but that I failed in bringing out my “big guns” which he describes as Galileo announcing the earth was not flat when “everyone” believed it was and scoffed at and scorned him.

16. on 03 Aug 2012 at 3:57 pmSarah

Sheryl,

I’ve observed this too. It’s one reason I’m praying for the Lord to open the eyes of mainstream pastors all over our country. I’m encouraged by the efforts of Jeol Hemphill, who recently taught the One God message at conference attended by trinitarian and oneness pastors. Evangelical pastors desperately need to unlearn a lot of the stuff they swallowed in seminary, and when enough of them do this, it will spark a reformation.

Anyway, sounds like you’ve at least given your family food for thought. It may take time, but you are laying the groundwork for change that could come down the road!

17. on 03 Aug 2012 at 5:02 pmtimothy

Sheryl and Sarah,

Perhaps you would invite your family to join us here on KR blog, where, with the agape love of GOD, many can witness/teach with you.

Here are some words of exhortation:

1 Corinthians 9: (kjv)
    24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:

27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

*truth is we cannot do this without each other and Jesus*

Sarah, yes the Hemphills are great teachers. Here is link to last years “Royal Family Reunion” week end. (haven’t found the main teaching)

GOD bless you all,

Timothy 🙂

18. on 03 Aug 2012 at 5:03 pmMike Gantt

Sarah,

What will this reformation you speak of look like? I can imagine some Trinitarian churches changing their statement of faith to comply with Unitarian views, as well as some people leaving Trinitarian churches to join Unitarian churches. But is there any change to be expected from such a reformation beyond these?

In other words, when a person goes from being a Trinitarian to a Unitarian what changes for that person?

19. on 03 Aug 2012 at 6:24 pmtimothy

Sarah,

Ureka, I found it via “GOOGLE”.

This is well worth the patients to see/hear/heed or

hotel uniform alfa hotel bravo=HUAHB=

Hear-Understand-Accept-Hold Fast+Bear FRUIT

Receive with MEEKNESS+
    retain with CONVICTION+
    release with BOLDNESS

Timothy 🙂

20. on 03 Aug 2012 at 7:29 pmDT

Sarah and Sheryl,

If I could lend a hand, I would recommend addressing what your view is to these people and helping them try to see where you are coming from and also gathering where they are coming from. This is really the only way that one can convince someone of a particular side.

There are people at my church who really haven’t even bothered to ask me in depth why I don’t believe in the Trinity. They simply just assume that it is because “I don’t understand it” but that is NOT the reason I believe what I currently believe. I believe what I currently believe because I have thought through much of these things in my head and critically examined every angle and approach to scriptures on the subject.

God bless.

DT

21. on 03 Aug 2012 at 8:06 pmSheryl

Thank you DT…good advice. I wonder if people just don’t want to know the truth because it’s scary to think of making such a radical change in thinking. A dear friend of mine once told me that it’s not wise to try to remove someone’s foundation without having something ready to replace it with. …providing it’s the truth!

22. on 03 Aug 2012 at 10:20 pmSarah

Timothy,

Thanks for the video of Joel Hemphill’s teaching 🙂 There’s a lot of good material at his 21stcr site too.

23. on 04 Aug 2012 at 3:09 pmDoubting Thomas

Hi Sheryl,
    Welcome to K.R.!!! I think you will find that there are a lot of good articles posted here on this site. I wouldn’t be too concerned about convincing people in your family of the truth when it comes to the Trinity. I have found that it is a very difficult thing to do. The best that you can hope for is that they understand that you have valid reasons for your beliefs. Convincing someone to change their core beliefs takes a lot of time, effort and prayer. Of course in the end it will take the holy spirit to intervene before any real change happens… 🙂