Simon Says vs. Jesus Says

Good points to consider. Feel free to share your thoughts below.

16 Responses to “Simon Says vs. Jesus Says”

1. on 30 Jul 2012 at 1:50 pmDoubting Thomas

Hi Victor,
    That was short and to the point. I spend most of my time trying to spread God’s word (as I see it) through the internet. I hope that my living example shows people that know me that I am a true student of Christ. I try not to make waves. I’m not as comfortable talking with people face to face. I find that people tend to get upset with me when I try to tell them why it is I believe what I believe.

I find it a lot easier through the medium of the internet. Very often I can’t even tell how upset someone is through this medium. Maybe I’m wrong to avoid the face to face confrontations, but I don’t handle confrontations very well, and I try to do my best to avoid them. Maybe this is one of my weaknesses…

2. on 30 Jul 2012 at 3:57 pmVictor

Thomas, sometimes our greatest strength is also our greatest weakness. So your desire to help people and be kind may also be a downfall at times when you need to deal with problems or when your words may lead to someone being offended.

I understand what you are saying – and I appreciate the internet, a lot. But I also know that when you deal with people face to face, you can see their expressions, hear their tone and understand what may be going on in their heart.

Also, sadly, most people say things behind a computer screen and keyboard they would never have the guts to say in person. Generally, we should be willing to keep a higher standard. In reality, the person on the other side of the WWW is a person too.

3. on 31 Jul 2012 at 10:58 amSean

Victor,

Thanks for this youtube. Chan’s point is so simple, so obvious that it is hard to argue with. We need to obey Jesus (period). The reason to memorize Scripture is to know what he said. The reason to study Greek is to understand it better without the filter of some translation. Still the focus is on actually believing and doing.

4. on 31 Jul 2012 at 12:32 pmMike Gantt

This video clip makes a very good point. Only thing is, if the church were to take it to heart, at least with respect to the “Make disciples” point Chan was using, it would result in less church and more disciples. Of course, that would be a good thing – but are church leaders willing to pursue it?

5. on 31 Jul 2012 at 1:03 pmVictor

Mike, I think it’s important to gather corporately – we see this example modeled in Scripture anyhow. But the meeting isn’t the mission. The Mission is the mission.

6. on 31 Jul 2012 at 1:29 pmSean

Some church leaders are pursuing it, some aren’t….either way, let’s do it

7. on 31 Jul 2012 at 1:37 pmMike Gantt

Victor,

I haven’t found the church yet where the Mission wasn’t secondary to the meeting.

8. on 31 Jul 2012 at 1:39 pmtimothy

Victor,

You bring to memory kindergarten games to teach young children:

Simon Says

May I?

Giant steps.

Each game is used to train/discipline a child. And especially to later, automatically obey and carry out an order, as when with our military.

Why do you condemn what Doubting Thomas says about the internet. Your video/teaching reached Thomas and me via this internet blog.

There exist a fellowship, with **like minded believers**, here on line from all points of the compass–Germany-South Afrika-Canada-California and here in Florida, UZW(and so forth). The LHIM is my lifeline to fellowship and
    teachings of GODs word.

Have you ever taken any of the free online classes offered?

FYI:

2 Timothy 1: (nasb)
    7 For God has not given us a spirit of [f]timidity, but of power and love and [g]discipline.
    [f…cowardice]
    [g…sound judgement]

To the contrary, we have been given: dunemus=power(Like dynamite)

figure “parrhesia”=fearless candor, a boldness to speak out

You might be too young to remember Cassius Clay our Olympic boxer.
    Well he demonstrated *fearless candor* and I remember.

I will post some more to Sean.

Timothy

9. on 02 Aug 2012 at 10:44 amtimothy

Sean,

GOD(YAHWEH) bless all you all!

You write:

**Chan’s point is so simple, so obvious that it is hard to argue with. We need to obey Jesus (period). The reason to memorize Scripture is to know what he said.**

Psalm 119: (kjv)
    11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

They first step is to read/hear/perceive/memorize/heed. LHIM bookstore has “retemory cards” to aid the saints to *memorize and retain* GODS word.

Hebrews 4:
    4 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

When one learns to identify, a thought/situation/opportunity to believe, with a retained scripture…that scripture can neutralize.

Jesus Christ promised: (read these verses very carefully)

John 14:
    16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and **bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you**.

When you **follow instructions** and receive(lambano) holy spirit, just like the believers written about in the first century church, the
    “spirit of truth”, your comforter(Paraclete), will access the retained words Jesus Christ has spoken.

Formula:

what is available+how to receive it=what to do with it

So when Jesus says(your Paraclete)…agape love does not parade***then “OBEY JESUS, your BOSS, toe the line and stop parading.***

To receive some instruction, with patients listen to sessions:
    # 13
    # 14

***We need to obey Jesus (period). The reason to memorize Scripture is to know what he said.***

Timothy

10. on 02 Aug 2012 at 10:46 amtimothy

correction=The first step

11. on 22 Aug 2012 at 1:39 pmtimothy

To all you all,

Here are retemory verses 1, 2, 3, and 4:

Psalms 29:
    1 Ascribe to the YAHWEH, O sons of the mighty,
    Ascribe to the YAHWEH glory and strength.
    2 Ascribe to the YAHWEH the glory [b]due to His name;
    Worship the YAHWEH in holy array.

Lamentations 3:
    22 The YAHWEH,s lovingkindnesses indeed never cease,
    For His compassions never fail.
    23 They are new every morning;
    Great is Your faithfulness.

Exodus 34:
    6 “YAHWEH, YAHWEH GOD, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth;
    7 who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished

Numbers 14:
    18 ‘ The Lord is slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness, forgiving iniquity and transgression; but He will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generations.’

12. on 22 Aug 2012 at 2:56 pmMike Gantt

Timothy,

Why do you seem to want to make an issue of the Tetragrammaton when neither those who produced the Septuagint nor our Lord’s apostles (all of whom were Jewish) did?

13. on 22 Aug 2012 at 3:14 pmtimothy

Mike Gantt,

Timothy

14. on 22 Aug 2012 at 3:44 pmMike Gantt

Timothy,

Could you summarize the sermon for me? If the thesis is a plausible answer to my question, I might very well want to listen to it.

15. on 22 Aug 2012 at 8:52 pmtimothy

Mike Gantt,

Freedom of will HUAHB

16. on 23 Aug 2012 at 4:16 amMike Gantt

Timothy,

I asked a question. First you give me a link to a lengthy video. Then you give a very cryptic statement. What’s wrong with writing two or three sentences that actually answer my question in an understandable way?