Election Results

Today is election day in the United States.  I am not writing this post to get into the debate of whether or not Christians should vote, as I know there are many opinions on that.  I’m writing this instead to hopefully stir our minds up to consider how we will be late tonight, or tomorrow when the final tallies are made.

This current political season has been one of the most divisive and polarizing in this nation’s history.  I have seen Christians vocal in support of their candidate.  And I have seen Christians vocal in supporting their candidate, who just happens to be the other guy.  So now I ask, O followers of the Messiah:

• Are you ready if your candidate does win?
  • Are you ready if your candidate doesn’t win?
Here are some things to do tomorrow:
  • First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men,  for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. [1 Timothy 2:1-2]
  • Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear. [Ephesians 4:29]
  • Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you. [Ephesians 4:32]
  • Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” [Matthew 28:19-20]
  • “Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. [Matthew 5:16]
There is a lot at stake today and tomorrow.  But it might not be what you think or what the media is telling you.  What’s a stake is whether or not the church of Christ, those called from darkness into the light will be the people that will represent the King on the earth.  Will we open our mouths wide proclaiming the gospel of the Kingdom of God?  Will we love our neighbors?  Will we pray for everyone?  Will we offer hope to a dying world?  Will we reach out to the lost and broken?  Will we care for the widows and orphan?  Will we give to the poor?  Will we feed the hungry and clothe the naked?  Will we live lives which wave the great banner of Christ in this day and time?
This land is divided.  Half of the land will rejoice tomorrow in a false hope.  Half will be angry tomorrow because their hope was denied.  Each side is going to need YOU!
So no matter what the election results are tomorrow – please, live for Christ.

9 Responses to “Election Results”

1. on 06 Nov 2012 at 3:01 amSheryl

Thank you for this post. It serves to keep us grounded in what really matters. Our allegiance is to our God and our Messiah before any country or candidate.

Personally I have been struggling with whether or not to vote, realizing there are strong opinions on both sides. I understand that God is in control … but I don’t understand how we are to vote or support an elected official who appears to be unrighteous. I wonder if God “gives us what we want” via our votes, or if God has withdrawn his hand and allowed a sinful country to go its own way. Or perhaps I am overly pessimistic about our government.

My quandary is this: if I cast my vote for the candidate of my choice am I responsible for the actions of that person over the next four years? Such as sending our fellow brothers and sisters to a war that I don’t necessarily agree with?

or by not voting am I furthering the effects of an ungodly populace who do vote to install the candidate of their choice? IE am I neglecting my duty? …but what if neither candidate meets what I feel are biblical standards of righteousness? Is it ever right, in general, to choose between “the lesser of two evils” ?

May our sovereign God watch over our nation tomorrow. May He hear the prayers of those humble Godly servants and grant us a peaceful and honest election.

2. on 06 Nov 2012 at 3:13 amElie Haddad

Thank you for a great Kingdom perspective. Praying for the United States today.

3. on 06 Nov 2012 at 5:14 amtimothy

Cheryl,

GOD bless you and yours.

A last minute opportunity for you.

Listen to our, LHIM, Pastors past Sunday teaching about prayer:

agapao se’

Timothy 🙂

4. on 06 Nov 2012 at 11:45 amTim (aka Antioch)

I once followed politics intently. After becoming a Christian, I was led to put it aside and became quite clueless on the day to day happenings. Recently, I have been following it again. I don’t know if it is just the election, or if I have slipped and let worldliness again compete for my mindshare. I kind of justify it by thinking that we are called to be responsible citizens and perhaps I just needed some time off to gain some perspective.

I have several friends on the ‘other side’ and they have been posting a lot of over the top stuff about one of the candidates. It has been difficult to not respond but I don’t feel that facebook posts are the appropriate forum for political discussion.

5. on 06 Nov 2012 at 12:24 pmtimothy

Hello Tim (aka Antioh)

Yes, I too got disinterested in politics.

However now I am frantic about how the government has cut our GOD out of the picture and doing everything to turn the country into the godless Marks society. Our country was founded on GODly principles and they have seemingly vaporized in the last 4 years.

You have written:
    “Whether it ends up Obama or Romney, either one needs lots of prayer. I cannot get through Kings and Chronicles without being struck by how the fate of Israel was linked to whether the king was obedient to God or not.”

I agree with you and more so with examples of OT Israel kings not being obedient to GOD.

I am re-posting the link to LHIM KR pastors 11-4-12 teaching about prayer and in relationship to this election.

Your brother in Christ

Timothy

6. on 06 Nov 2012 at 11:37 pmSheryl

Hi Timothy, I did get a chance to hear the sermon you linked above and it has made an impact…however I am still in that valley where I have chosen to “put aside” involvement in politics. I plan on taking the next four years to learn whether or not I should be participating in politics at any level. An interesting thought I’ve been entertaining: when the Kingdom comes it won’t be governed by popular elected officials. We will have a king and will happily live in a monarchy / theocracy, if I understand correctly. So is our American form of Constitutional republic godly? Is it in any way reflected in the bible?

7. on 07 Nov 2012 at 1:29 amtimothy

Sheryl,

GOD bless you and thanks for your reply.

I think we should study Victors above verses and continue to be obedient to our Lord , prophet and King, Jesus Christ.

We shall continue to: (KJV)

ll Timothy 2:
    15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Ephesians 5:
    5 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;

2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.

ll Corinthians 5:
    18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God.

l Timothy 2:
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

agapao se’

Timothy 🙂

8. on 07 Nov 2012 at 8:34 amGeorge

God Bless you above all you can ask or think in Christ Jesus name,thank you for bringing to our rememberance the need of prayer for all those in positions of authority!I feel as if we the Body of Christ must pray for our country and elected officials or we will go down a path that leads to Sodom and Gomorrah!I know I am a sojourner in this country and I look forward to a city made without hands whose builder and maker is The LORD God Almighty!I know you and I have talked about being entangle with the affairs of this world,but I look to the voters of Newport R.I. who did not want nor need a Casino in their fair city!I have been to Atlantic City N.J. when I was a very young believer and can tell you I will never go back unless The LORD of Hosts told me to go and even then He may have to give me a ride in the belly of a whale!It shoke me to the core the things the devil attempted to do to me and I almost lost my life,I have never shared this for the shame and guilt of a foolish child of God,my skin crawls thinking of it.Thank you your wife and kids for being great examples.Love everlasting george

9. on 07 Nov 2012 at 8:50 amXavier

According to Eph 6.12 who is in control of the governments of this world?