Soli Deo Gloria
1 Corinthians 10:31 Do all to the glory of God
Judges 6-7 God’s whittling down of Gideon’s army provides us a prime example of how important it is to God that He receives proper glory for what He does. He could have worked with thousands, but then they would have thought they had won the victory because of their own military prowess.
1 Peter 4:11 In everything we should give God glory through Jesus Christ. This is not limited to when we are here on Sundays or at other fellowships, but it applies to our whole lives.
Matthew 6:1-18 Jesus teaches us about doing righteous deeds for God, not people
- Pray to God in private
- Fast secretly so God sees, not people
- Give to the poor secretly
Romans 16:27 To God be glory forevermore
Ephesians 3:21 To God be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus
Philippians 1:11 Righteousness comes through Jesus to the glory and praise of God.
1 Thessalonians 2:4 We speak not to please people but God who tests our hearts.
Jesus made his whole life about glorifying God.
- Jn 5:41 “I do not receive glory from people”
- Jn 7:18 “The one who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory; but the one who seeks the glory of him who sent me is true, and in him there is no falsehood”
- Jn 8:50, 54 “Yet I do not seek my own glory...if I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God’”
- Jn 12:43 “for they loved the glory that comes from man more than the glory that comes from God”
- John 5:30 "I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge, and my judgment is just, because I seek not my own will but the will of him who sent me.”
How to glorify God in 2017:
- Love God
- Love people
« back to sermon archive