Set Your Mind on Things Above (Colossians 3)
< switch to video | download mp3 | more teachings >
Colossians 3:1 Therefore...
Ask yourself, “what’s the therefore there for?” This is usually used as an admonition to some action based on what was communicated previously. (Romans 12:1; Ephesians 4:1; 5:1; Philippians 2:1-3; 4:1)
Some of the highlights from Chapters 1 &2
- We have a hope laid up for us in heaven
- He has qualified us to share in the inheritance
- He has rescued us from the domain of darkness
- He has transferred us to the kingdom
- We have redemption and forgiveness of sins through Christ
- Christ is image of the Invisible God
- Christ is the Firstborn from the dead
- All of the new creation -- dominion, thrones, authorities, are created through Him
- By Christ all things hold together
- He is head over all things
- Christ has reconciled us through death, to present us holy and blameless
- It is Christ in you the hope of glory!
- In God’s mystery, Christ himself, is hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge
- We are not to be captive through philosophy and empty deception.
- In Christ, all the fullness of Deity dwells.
- In Christ, we have been made complete
- Through the cross we have been forgiven all transgressions
- Through the cross all rulers and authorities have been defeated.
- Christ has set us free from all of the of these elementary principles of the world
Therefore... Seek things above; set your mind on things above; consider your earthly body dead to these fleshly things. This is mental! This is what to do with your mind. This is how we are to think.
Put! Let! Do!
Put off the old self and put on the new self. Christ is all and in all!
Put on compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience, forgiveness
Put on love!
Let the peace of God rule
Let the word of Christ richly dwell in you
Do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father
Specific admonition for Wives, husbands, children, fathers, slaves
« back to sermon archive