Hello everyone!

I would like to relate an incident that my wife & I experienced.
Sometime ago, my wife and I was doing the “Apollos” thing.

That is, we were listening to a preacher in a public area who was fervent in the spirit who preached diligently knowing only the things concerning the trinity, Jesus is God Almighty & going to heaven??
… with a view that when he had finished preaching; we would try and show him the way of God more perfectly! [cp. Acts 18:24-26]

So we patiently waited to he had finished and finally we had an opportunity to speak to him
We pointed out that quite a few of the things he was saying, if he was to really analyze them, he would realize that they were not exactly scriptural.

The gentleman’s countenance began to change and he began to question what denomination we belonged to? We replied we were Bible-believing Christians! What Bible do you use he asked? We happen to have a KJV with us. (He was happy with that yet he even scrutinized that fact as well.)

Anyways, we attempted to show him

• that the final destination of the saints was the Kingdom of God/Heaven as oppose to Heaven;
  • that Jesus the Messiah taught and proclaimed the Gospel of the Kingdom;
  • that mankind ought to repent and prepare themselves for the Coming Kingdom;
  • that God did not come Himself; rather literally as John 3:16 spells out, the One God gave His Son as the Lamb of God who would take away the sin of the world. [John 1:29]

As we try to show him this Christology (the study of who Christ is) from what the Scriptures actually state – he appeared to get very nervous and asked “Do you believe in the trinity?”

When we replied that we did not!! His face turned into a picture of horror! I lie not. He began to run and as he ran away from us he went to other surrounding groups of “Christians” and warned them …“these people do not believe in the trinity … they don’t believe in the trinity!”
And then finally he ran off!

It was both a hilarious and of course, at the same time, a sad scene. We were simply astonished at his reaction and the way he ran from us as if we had the plague!!

What a far cry from the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. [Jude 3]
Unless one believes in the trinity one cannot be saved! (Incidentally, after one of the “Christian” who heard what the man said about us, he turned to us and said “well we are going to hell!”)

In the time of the Early Church … the litmus test of having a correct and saving view of Jesus was the fact that one must believe that …
Jesus of Nazareth was the Messiah, the Son of the Living God
[Matt 16:16, Acts 8:37, 1 John 4:15, 5:1]

Nowadays we are told that we must believe that Jesus of Nazareth was actually Almighty God Himself. Again what a far cry!!

The apostle John when he wrote his epistles, he appears to write with strikingly, plain words, concerning what we must believe in order to be ‘for Christ” as oppose to ‘against/anti Christ’!!
It’s as if he could see the coming tides of pagan, Hellenistic philosophy and doctrines which were attacking the apostolic, scriptural view of who Jesus is!
Now listen to what John says about those who attack or belittle the true humanity of Jesus of Nazareth.

(1 John 2:22) Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
(1 John 4:2-3) Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
(2 John 1:7) For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.
(2 John 1:9-11) Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. 10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: 11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

There is no mistaking his words! There is no ambiguity! Look at the strength & the seriousness of his words.
Now, he is speaking concerning the Gnostics; who taught that Jesus was not actually a human being; he simply appeared to be a human being.
So he looked like a human; he sounded like a human; he appeared to be a human! But we Gnostics know that in actuality he is not truly a human being … he is a heavenly eon (which the Gnostics had various names for; also some Gnostics taught that the Christ was a distinct being from Jesus of Nazareth; they taught that the Christ came into Jesus at his baptism and that the Christ left him at his crucifixion;
hence 1 John 2:22 … John emphatically states that Jesus is the Christ!)

These are the doctrines that John was refuting. So the litmus test was extended to include that Jesus literally came in the flesh i.e. he was in every true sense of the word, a human being! The man Messiah Jesus [1 Tim. 2:5]

I wonder to myself! What if John was alive today … or at least alive at the time of the Nicene council?

• What would he have said in the 4th epistle of John? If he could write such strong words, inspired by the spirit of Almighty God, concerning those who claim that Jesus was not really a human being; what would he have to say about those who teach that Jesus was and is actually Almighty God come down to us in the likeness of man (cp. Acts 14:11)
  • … that the eternal, immortal, One God, that all Israel was commanded to obey and fear; was actually Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Mary, who was whipped, beaten, crucified; and buried!!!

What would he have said!! And what would Paul have said (considering his reaction in
Acts 14:14-15)?
Ponder these questions! Selah!

Would the Apostles not have seen the Nicene doctrine of who Jesus is as a hideous, idolatrous blasphemy??
Turning the Creator into an image of a man! Something every Jew was forbidden to do much less revere or make homage to!! [Rom 1:23; Deut 4:16] Selah!

If John under the inspiration of holy spirit calls those who question the true humanity of Jesus, antichrist!
What would he have had to say concerning those who have turned Jesus into Almighty God and have made this, the litmus test of being a Christian??

Well I need to stop ranting. Nevertheless, these are the thoughts that came to me after that preacher ran away! Even the one who condemned us to hell had to admit that the doctrine of the trinity was manmade! Nevertheless, if one does not believe in it, one cannot be saved!

I ask you, is this what the Scriptures state?

• My brothers and sisters; let us scripturally earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
  • Let us hold on to the wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ! [1 Tim 6:3]
  • Keep spreading the true faith; keep telling & teaching the true Gospel, the true Good News.

And who knows. You might even find yourself an Apollos who would indeed receive the way of God more perfectly and go on to convince everyone he or she meets …
that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of the Living God, the herald of the Coming Kingdom!

And lastly, remember what our Lord and Master, our Rabbi taught us …

(John 17:3) And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God,
and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

This is the litmus test that we all need to adhere to!
In order to inherit Life in the Age to Come!
God Bless!

19 Responses to “A Modern Apollos Experience”

1. on 30 May 2007 at 10:41 amSean

What a shocking experience. Take heart, brother, that one day all will know Yahweh when he reveals himself wholesale in the end.

Zechariah 14:8-11
    8 And in that day living waters will flow out of Jerusalem, half of them toward the eastern sea and the other half toward the western sea; it will be in summer as well as in winter. 9 And Yahweh will be king over all the earth; in that day the Yahweh will be the only one, and His name the only one. 10 All the land will be changed into a plain from Geba to Rimmon south of Jerusalem; but Jerusalem will rise and remain on its site from Benjamin’s Gate as far as the place of the First Gate to the Corner Gate, and from the Tower of Hananel to the king’s wine presses. 11 People will live in it, and there will no longer be a curse, for Jerusalem will dwell in security.

Until then, we must urge people to consider the central creed of Israel and Jesus. Shema Israel, Shema Christians, Shema Everyone, Yahweh is one! (Deut 6.4; Mark 12.29). We need to progress beyond telling eachother we are going to hell if we don’t adhere to the “official” christology.

2. on 30 May 2007 at 6:07 pmSteve

I’ve found that it’s sometimes helpful to respond to the “you’re going to hell!” kind of remark by saying that I worship a God of love Who would never torture someone endlessly in hell, especially just because they’re ignorant. Then if you ask them what makes them worship such a cruel God it can sometimes get them thinking about the absurdity of their position.

3. on 30 May 2007 at 10:04 pmSean

How about this one:

If Jesus is our substitute who has endured the punishment of sin for all mankind AND the punishment for sin is to burn eternally in hell then wouldn’t Jesus had to have been eternally tormented for his atonement to work?

4. on 31 May 2007 at 8:35 amJohn Paul

Sean
    How about this one:

Never heard that one before.

I like

I like alot.

5. on 31 May 2007 at 12:10 pmMark

Or how about the simple “chapter and verse” approach? Ask them to show you from the Bible where it says that you will go to hell if you don’t believe in the trinity.

6. on 03 Jun 2007 at 6:26 amSean

A few weeks back I had a similar experience on a couple of message boards. I went on there with the following post:

If Jesus is God then he cannot die
    If Jesus did not die then our sins are not paid for

This simple two liner got me called all sorts of names BY CHRISTIANS! I was accused of having the “spirit of anit-christ,” “heretic,” “cult member,” “wolf in sheeps clothing,” and then I was excommunicated from the message board and everything I had said was deleted. All of this name calling and so on is completely unnecessary. May we be the ones who are able to “love our enemies” especially on matters of doctrine.

The Message Board (byte show episode)

7. on 13 Jun 2007 at 9:15 amFortigurn

The fear trintiarians have of we Unitarians is really quite remarkable. I’ve encountered it on many occasions.

I have an apologetic website, from which I link to a number of ‘orthodox’ apologetic Websites run by trinitarians. I’ve even offered my material to a trinitarian run apologetic Website. He liked my material, but of course he wanted to confirm whether or not I believed in the trinity.

I told him I didn’t, and that I wasn’t asking for him to put a link to my site on his site, I simply wanted to share the material I had. I told him he could use it without citing me if he wanted to.

For the sake of peace, I didn’t point out that I have no problems linking to apologetic sites run by trinitarians, because their theology is no threat to me. But my theology is clearly a threat to them.

Deep down, I believe most trinitarians feel threatened by Unitarian theology. They know their theology is illogical, irrational, and basically unjust. That’s one of the reasons why many of them attempt to avoid us. Their conscience pricks them.

8. on 17 Jun 2007 at 2:19 pmJaired

It is very interesting to note that the preacher ran away because I would imagine that he would have tried to rebuke you of your unitarian views and show you what he understands to be the truth. That Jesus is in fact God and apart of the holy trinity. After all, that is what christians are called to do! Preaching truth! It just goes to show that trinitarians are terrified to question their beliefs involving the relationship between Jesus and God.

9. on 17 Jun 2007 at 2:29 pmKaren

“It just goes to show that trinitarians are terrified to question their beliefs involving the relationship between Jesus and God.”

*Some* trinitarians are, but others are not. NT Wright’s various books and essays approach the trinity quite differently from the usual way it’s argued. See, for example, this essay: http://www.ntwrightpage.com/Wright_JIG.htm. While I don’t necessarily agree with everything he writes here, it’s a much fresher and more interesting way of looking at the problem than one usually encounters.

10. on 17 Jun 2007 at 2:51 pmJaired

Karen,
    You are absolutly right! I do not think all trinitarians are afraid to question the trinity. I should have clarified myself better. Many trinitarians are afraid to question their beliefs, that is what I had meant to say.

11. on 17 Jun 2007 at 3:41 pmKaren

And many aren’t actually trinitarians, if you begin to question them. Most are more like ‘binatarians’: they believe Jesus is God (because that’s what they’ve always been told), but they don’t think of the Holy Spirit as a ‘person’. And I do get the sense, by reading some recent theologians such as Wright, that ideas are subtly shifting around this whole topic. It’s very encouraging, actually. 🙂

12. on 18 Jun 2007 at 7:09 amFortigurn

I agree with both Jaired and Karen. You’ll find that men such as NT Wright and JD Dunn are particularly thoughtful and open minded in their approach to the trinity.

13. on 18 Jun 2007 at 7:38 amSean

Karen,

I understand that you were brought up culturally Jewish, but not actually practising? When you first came to Christianity, did the Trinity play any role in that? Do you have any advice for reaching others who are today where you were before?

14. on 18 Jun 2007 at 3:39 pmKaren

“When you first came to Christianity, did the Trinity play any role in that?”

None whatsoever. I read about it, of course, but didn’t understand it at all. The believer who witnessed to me knew that Jesus wasn’t God, and that made perfect sense to me.

“Do you have any advice for reaching others who are today where you were before?”

Patience and love. 🙂 Specifically: cultural Jews don’t care one way or another about one God vs. the Trinity. It’s only an observant Jew, who has been inculcated with the Shema since s/he was very small, who can probably be reached more easily with the message of the one God. But that’s never the real stumbling block, anyway: Jesus Christ is, and all that Christianity represents, in the Jewish mind, throughout history: the Inquisition, the pogroms, the Holocaust, etc. The fear is more cultural than spiritual, hence the reason why so many who do convert become Messianic Jews.

15. on 19 Jun 2007 at 11:13 pmDoug

These may fall on deaf ears… but faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.

Philippians 2:1-11
    1So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, 2complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. 3Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. 4Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. 5Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 8And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 9Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Matt: 2:10-11
    10When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy. 11And going into the house they saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh.

Matt: 8:1-3
    1When he came down from the mountain, great crowds followed him. 2And behold, a leper] came to him and knelt before him, saying, “Lord, if you will, you can make me clean.” 3And Jesus stretched out his hand and touched him, saying, “I will; be clean.” And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.

Matt: 14:30-33
    But when he saw the wind,[d] he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” 31Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. 33And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”

John 9:35-40
    35Jesus heard that they had cast him out, and having found him he said, “Do you believe in the Son of Man?” 36He answered, “And who is he, sir, that I may believe in him?” 37Jesus said to him, “You have seen him, and it is he who is speaking to you.” 38He said, “Lord, I believe,” and he worshiped him. 39Jesus said, “For judgment I came into this world, that those who do not see may see, and those who see may become blind.”

Acts 10:25-26
    25When Peter entered, Cornelius met him and fell down at his feet and worshiped him. 26But Peter lifted him up, saying, “Stand up; I too am a man.”

Rev 5:11-14
    11Then I looked, and I heard around the throne and the living creatures and the elders the voice of many angels, numbering myriads of myriads and thousands of thousands, 12saying with a loud voice, “Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!” 13And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying, “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever!” 14And the four living creatures said, “Amen!” and the elders fell down and worshiped.

Rev 22:7-9
    “And behold, I am coming soon. Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book.” 8 I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I heard and saw them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed them to me, 9 but he said to me, “You must not do that! I am a fellow servant[d] with you and your brothers the prophets, and with those who keep the words of this book. Worship God.”

John 10:24-29
    24So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” 25Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name bear witness about me, 26but you do not believe because you are not part of my flock. 27My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”

16. on 20 Jun 2007 at 8:56 amJohnO

Doug thanks for stopping by, is there some commentary you wanted to add to those verses?

17. on 20 Jun 2007 at 11:06 amFortigurn

Well from those verses I learned:

* Jesus is a man
    * Jesus is the Christ
    * Jesus is the son of God
    * Jesus has been highly exalted by God, because of his obedience to God
    * Jesus was given power and authority by God, receiving it as the reward of his obedient life
    * Jesus is worthy of honour, glory, blessing, and adoration

18. on 20 Jun 2007 at 11:23 amSean

…and people worshipped Jesus (i.e. prostrated/bowed before him)

19. on 20 Jun 2007 at 8:45 pmDoug

Actually came across the blog… looking at creation stuff…I guess no additional commentary other than note the distinction between those that were corrected for worshiping illegitimate persons (angel(s) and Peter)

…. here are few more verses to consider…please excuse the verbosity if too long of a post for proper etiquette..

Colossians 1
    15He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16For by[him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities–all things were created through him and for him. 17And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. 19For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, 20and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross. 21And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, 22he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him, 23if indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, became a minister.

Colossians 2
    6Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, 7rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving. 8See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. 9For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, 10and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority.

Romans 10
    8But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. 11For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” 12For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. 13For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Romans 9
    1I am speaking the truth in Christ–I am not lying; my conscience bears me witness in the Holy Spirit– 2that I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. 3For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, my kinsmen according to the flesh. 4They are Israelites, and to them belong the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises. 5To them belong the patriarchs, and from their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ who is God over all, blessed forever. Amen.

Titus 2
    11For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, 12training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, 13waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, 14who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. 15Declare these things; exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one disregard you.

2 Corinthians 14
    14The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

Hebrews 1
    1Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, 2but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. 3He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, 4having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs. 5For to which of the angels did God ever say,

“You are my Son,
    today I have begotten you”?

Or again,

“I will be to him a father,
    and he shall be to me a son”?

6And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world, he says,

“Let all God’s angels worship him.”

7Of the angels he says,

“He makes his angels winds,
    and his ministers a flame of fire.”

8But of the Son he says,

“Your throne, O God, is forever and ever,
    the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom.
    9You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;
    therefore God, your God, has anointed you
    with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.”
    10And,

“You, Lord, laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning,
    and the heavens are the work of your hands;
    11they will perish, but you remain;
    they will all wear out like a garment,
    12like a robe you will roll them up,
    like a garment they will be changed.[a]
    But you are the same,
    and your years will have no end.”

John 20
    27Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe.” 28Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” 29Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

John 8
    12Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” 13So the Pharisees said to him, “You are bearing witness about yourself; your testimony is not true.” 14Jesus answered, “Even if I do bear witness about myself, my testimony is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. 15You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one. 16Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is true, for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father[a] who sent me. 17In your Law it is written that the testimony of two men is true. 18I am the one who bears witness about myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness about me.” 19They said to him therefore, “Where is your Father?” Jesus answered, “You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also.” 20These words he spoke in the treasury, as he taught in the temple; but no one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come. 21So he said to them again, “I am going away, and you will seek me, and you will die in your sin. Where I am going, you cannot come.” 22So the Jews said, “Will he kill himself, since he says, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come’?” 23He said to them, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. 24I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins.” 25So they said to him, “Who are you?” Jesus said to them, “Just what I have been telling you from the beginning. 26I have much to say about you and much to judge, but he who sent me is true, and I declare to the world what I have heard from him.” 27They did not understand that he had been speaking to them about the Father. 28So Jesus said to them, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he, and that I do nothing on my own authority, but speak just as the Father taught me. 29And he who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to him.” 30As he was saying these things, many believed in him.
    31So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” 33They answered him, “We are offspring of Abraham and have never been enslaved to anyone. How is it that you say, ‘You will become free’?”
    34Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is a slave[b] to sin. 35The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever. 36So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. 37I know that you are offspring of Abraham; yet you seek to kill me because my word finds no place in you. 38I speak of what I have seen with my Father, and you do what you have heard from your father.” 39They answered him, “Abraham is our father.” Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would be doing what Abraham did, 40but now you seek to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. This is not what Abraham did. 41You are doing what your father did.” They said to him, “We were not born of sexual immorality. We have one Father–even God.” 42Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me. 43Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. 44You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. 46Which one of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? 47Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.” 48The Jews answered him, “Are we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and have a demon?” 49Jesus answered, “I do not have a demon, but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me. 50Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is One who seeks it, and he is the judge. 51Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.” 52The Jews said to him, “Now we know that you have a demon! Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, ‘If anyone keeps my word, he will never taste death.’ 53Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? And the prophets died! Who do you make yourself out to be?” 54Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.'[c] 55But you have not known him. I know him. If I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and I keep his word. 56Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.” 57So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?”[d] 58Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” 59So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.

John 1:
    1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4In him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. ….. 9The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world. 10He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him. 11He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him. 12But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, 13who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.