Sins of Laodicea

This summer a few of us went on a two week evangelism road trip. Most of us did little 15 minute sermons, among them was JohnO. He taught from the first three chapters of Revelation, which is Jesus’ message to the Churches Asia. I thought of this randomly this morning and read the chapters before school.

His message to the church in Laodicea stuck out in my mind.

“I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. So because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spit you out of my mouth. Because you say, ‘ I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have need of nothing,” and you do not know that you are wretched and miserable and poor blind and naked.” Revelation 2.15-17

If Jesus were to give a message to our modern day “church” in America, what do you think he’d say? Do you think that it would sound like the message to Laodicea?

I also thought of not just the church as a whole, but your own individual walk with God (by kevin). What message would Jesus give to you? Would he say “Well done. good and faithful slave,” or “You wicked lazy slave”?

7 Responses to “Sins of Laodicea”

1. on 27 Nov 2007 at 7:15 amSean

What are some suggestions to get on fire for God? I’m pretty sure I know how to get/stay lukewarm.

2. on 27 Nov 2007 at 2:30 pmjimS

I belong to another blog group and one of the guys signatures states:
    “Every Christian is either a missionary or an imposter.”–Charles Spurgeon
    I think this may be somewhat radical yet it carries with it great principle. Are we living to simply feed our own belly or have we accepted the terms of the Lord/servent agreement? I personally believe Jesus our Lord will hold us to account concerning our dilligence to follow in his footsteps.
    Even as the Apostle Paul states:
    1 Cor 9:16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
    1 Cor 9:17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

Do we believe that only the apostles were commisioned to preach the gospel or is it a community call to service?

3. on 28 Nov 2007 at 6:57 amWolfgang

Hi Jim S.,
    you asked:

I’d say you are asking a good question that is not often asked by Christians or those who are teaching in Christian groups …. because they almost unanimously assume and then preach that the second part of your question is actually in itself the answer … BUT …

May I add a few more questions that deal in essence with the same matter? Did Jesus commission all his disciples to be his envoys or did he chose certain ones from among his disciples to carry out this responsibility? Do all believers have the same functions / service within the body of the church and/or to those who are without the church? Has a change occurred between what we read in the Bible as relevant for the church then to what is relevant to the church now or do the same principles concerning functions of members in the body apply?

My take on these matters is that there were and are most definitely different functions to be carried out by different believers in the church, and NOT everybody is a teacher, preacher, apostle, evangelist or the likes … I would suggest to carefully read the NT scriptures in light of to whom they were addressed and who is being spoken of in each passage so that one does not interpret truths pertaining to one person or group as if they were true of and applicable in the same way of another person or group

4. on 28 Nov 2007 at 8:15 amSal

Wolfgang, I’d imagine that if one really loved people, then One would care about what happens to them at the judgement.

I often think about this. I think as disciples, this is our main purpose. What do We profit God if we’re not doing anything for him? God wants all to come to repentence, except there’s not many people that care what God wants or it would be just natural to tell people about the Kingdom.

I don’t know, maybe we lost the vision of Jesus’ vision for the true church while we were having tuperware parties and luncheons, while the world runs rapidly towards judgement.

At least Mormons are doing something about it?

5. on 28 Nov 2007 at 8:29 amWolfgang

Hi Sal,

it seems that perhaps I have missed the point of the previous posts and what was the concerns for certain biblical passages ….???

My concern was about folks nowadays teaching passages from the NT scriptures that concerned specific people with specific ministries as if they were for all Christians of all times at all places equally, etc … perhaps I should ask some questions in the manner in which Paul already asked asked at the end of 1Co 12?
    Are all apostles? all evangelists? all prophets? all teachers? all missionaries? all preachers?

I’d say that the answer is in all cases (as also is the case in 1Co 12) a clear “No, they are not!” Or should the answer be “Yes, they are!” ??

6. on 28 Nov 2007 at 9:31 amJohnO

No, all people of the Church do not function in all these full-time roles. However, shouldn’t each Christian take care for the conduct of one another, correcting and reproofing in meekness when needed? Shouldn’t each Christian care for the fate of another and speak the Gospel? Shouldn’t each Christian stand up for God’s principles? Shouldn’t each Christian teach those whom they can, Husbands their families, elders their youngers?

We might not all have the full-time job of an apostle, evangelist, prophet, or teacher – but that doesn’t mean we can sit on the sideline and not do anything.

7. on 28 Nov 2007 at 2:44 pmjimS

Each of us then are to seek to edify the church. To build up the body of christ in love. If We each desire to have spiritual fruit among the church as a whole we will certainly follow after those things which make for peace. I pray we desire to please the Father by doing our own best to walk with our Lord today.

God bless!!!