There is another important item to note about where the kingdom will be located. Scripture indicates that both Jesus, and God himself, will live with us – on the earth – during the kingdom of God:

Psalm 2:6 – 6But as for me, I have installed My King Upon Zion, My holy mountain.

Psalm 132:14 – 14Zion is my resting place forever; in her I will dwell, for I prefer her.

Isaiah 24:23 – 23For the LORD of hosts will reign on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem.

Micah 5:2 (ESV) – 2From you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel.

Revelation 21:2-3 (ESV) – 2And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.

next week=> Kingdom Study 6: The Promise to Abraham

8 Responses to “Kingdom Study 5: Where Will God and Jesus Be?”

1. on 07 Sep 2009 at 9:08 pmVictor

This is a good point Brian. I have heard many say “I don’t care where we all go – heaven or the earth – as long as I’m with Jesus.” While that is a nice sentiment, I think to believe the gospel of the Kingdom is to unite our hearts with God’s restorative plan. That being said, I think the points you highlight here are good for those who “don’t care where they go” – this might help create a bridge to show them more about God’s plan. Thanks.

2. on 08 Sep 2009 at 2:36 amWolfgang

Hi Victor,

where do you read anything about God’s restorative plan as having to do with “restoring [planet] earth” somehow?

As for Christian’s hope and what we look for in the times of difficulty and affliction during out earthly journey, it seems to me that Paul in II Cor 4:18ff is rather clearly telling that believers are NOT looking forward to the things which are seen but to those that are not seen, the visible (earthly, physical) things being only temporal but the invisible (heavenly, spiritual) being eternal.

Where do we read that we should be looking forward to eternal BUT visible things on earth (which would invalidate Paul’s declarations above)?

3. on 08 Sep 2009 at 9:21 pmSean

Wolfgang,

again you are sounding very gnostic…why do you assume that physical = bad?

Does not Genesis tell us that God made it good?

4. on 08 Sep 2009 at 9:42 pmXavier

Could it be sean that God made the pre-physical [sin] world good?

Maybe the sin component in creation changed it somehow…

5. on 09 Sep 2009 at 2:52 amWolfgang

Sean,

where did I assume that “physical = bad” ?? could it be that YOU are the one who is assuming that I am assuming this ???

Do you think Paul didn’t quite get it right there in 2Co 4:18ff ? or was he perhaps a gnostic because of what he wrote there? Should we rather set our sights and affections on things on a future earth (which we don’t really read about in the Bible, but which some imagine as some kind of “utopia”)?

6. on 09 Sep 2009 at 8:56 amJaco

Thanks for the post.

I think the gist of this post is to determine (or speculate) in what way God, Yahweh will be with mankind, seeing that He is the Almighty and dwells in the highest heavens.

In 1 Kings 8:27 with the inauguration of the first temple, Solomon had something to say about Yahweh’s dwelling with mankind. To him Yahweh was way too elevated to do that, yet Yahweh did dwell with His nation representatively. We’re told that His presence could be seen in the Holy of Holies above the cherubim bowing down over the ark of the covenant. Yahweh’s filling the temple with a glorious cloud also testified to his being present.

Would Yahweh be present in a similar way in future? Psalm 72 tells us what the conditions will be like when the Greater Solomon, Jesus the Messiah will rule the earth. Do we insist that Yahweh be here in person, or would using representatives, such as his Son who will have descended from heaven also on a cloud, qualify as dwelling among mankind when His tent will be with them? In a way like never before will Jesus be Immanuel, Yahweh’s glorious representative, dwelling among mankind whom He has given the earth while the heavens belong to Yahweh (Ps 115:16)?

These are but my ideas of it…

Jaco

7. on 09 Sep 2009 at 8:46 pmRay

Acts 9:3
    And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

This happened to Saul when he was at a particular place. It seems to me that the Lord could do as he did here with Saul to the whole
    earth at one time should he wish to do so. He also could appear to
    decend out of the clouds to a man or a nation, or the whole earth if he decides to do so. He could do that and even set foot himself (in the same form or physical condition, as he was on the day of his ascension) on the earth someplace if he wants to.

Psalm 72:4
    He shall judge the poor of the people, he shall save the children of the needy, and shall break in pieces the oppressor.

Is it possible that we might see him do this in person in the holy land and also see the church do the same by him who lives in us through the holy spirit which he has given, as the holy spirit receives
    from Jesus what he (the spirit of God) is given and imparts it unto us?

8. on 09 Sep 2009 at 9:57 pmRay

I just don’t know if these things will be happening here or there,
    if in this world that now is, or one that is to come. Still I have hope
    in a kingdom and a world wherein dwells righteousness.