It may be that some of you are still not convinced that people will live on the earth, during the kingdom of God. If so, that is not very surprising – because after all, 99% of Christian churches believe that people go to heaven when they die.  So, there is one final thought that I would like to share with you, about where people will live during the kingdom. In order to discuss that item, we need to go back to the very beginning of the Bible – to the creation of Adam and Eve.  Here are three questions, about Adam and Eve – along with the answers to those questions:

Question: Where were Adam and Eve created?

Answer: In the Garden of Eden.

Question: Where was the Garden of Eden located?

Answer: On the earth.

Question: How long would Adam and Eve have lived, if they had not disobeyed God?

Answer: Forever.

The information on the last page tells us the following: If Adam and Eve had never sinned against God, then they would have lived forever, on the earth!  That indicates to me that God’s entire plan for humans is that we should live forever, on a paradise earth. After all, if God intended for humans to live in heaven, then why didn’t He create Adam and Eve in heaven in the first place?  In other words, why did God bother with the Garden of Eden at all, if His plan for humans is that we should live in heaven?

I believe that God’s original plan for Adam and Eve was that they would live forever, on the paradise earth that He created for them. However, Adam and Eve’s disobedience caused sin – and death – to enter the entire world. As a result, human beings are currently mortal; and the earth is no longer in a paradise state. Basically, Adam and Eve’s sin caused a temporary “delay” in God’s plan for humans.

However, when Jesus returns, the earth will be restored to its original, paradise conditions. In addition, Jesus will resurrect faithful believers, and grant them everlasting life – so that believers will live forever, on the restored paradise earth.  In other words, when Jesus returns, he will restore God’s plan for mankind. Hallelujah!

Acknowledgements

In closing, I would like to acknowledge the following three individuals – because the information they provided greatly assisted me in my research about the kingdom of God:

Juan Baixeras, an independent theologian.

Anthony Buzzard, from The Church of God General Conference.

John Schoenheit, from Spirit and Truth Fellowship International.

All three of these men have published numerous books, documents, web pages, etc about the kingdom of God – so if you are interested in obtaining more detailed information about the kingdom, then I certainly recommend visiting their web sites.

16 Responses to “Kingdom Study 9: Final Thoughts”

1. on 05 Oct 2009 at 12:02 pmJohn734

Thanks Brian for your presntation of these articles.

Over the years as I have learned these truths they have been very freeing, and in many ways I have found that understanding Gods master plan has helped me to understad Gods love for me as an individual.
    That God made man for the earth and that is where man will be
    makes me fully realise and appriciate that God did all this wonderful work on the earth for me (as a human) so when I pick a tomatoe I think how wonderful God is to provide for us, everything around us is for our wellbeing and fulfillment and that in turn make me glorify God which is what he wants. How wonderful is our God.

I appriciate the way you have been able to encapsulate these truths in such a brief presentation. This is not an easy thing to do.

The one comment I have about the content was that you indicated (at least to me) that you believe that durring the 1000 year reign of Christ which will commence with his return that God himself will come down to earth and live among men.
    My understanding of this is that after the millenium reign of Christ and after the Devil and all that oppose God will have been thrown into the lake of fire then there will be a new heaven and earth and that is the time that God will come down and live among men.

I think one of the biggest challenges in studying Revelation is getting the timing of events as its not written chronilogically.

I know I havnt quoted lots of verses but for now this is just a discussion to make sure “did I understand you correctly”?

One section of scripture that I do find rather enlightening on this topic is 1 Cor 15:20-28
    I think this is a good synopsis of these events. The word “then” in verse 24 I believe represents 1000 years.

Anyway good job
    Cheers
    John

2. on 06 Oct 2009 at 12:52 amBrian Keating

Hi John734,

Thanks for the kind words! Actually, I do agree with you – I agree that God himself will not live on the earth with us, until after the 1000 year reign of Christ. Sorry if I wasn’t clear on that!

Basically, I believe that God will not live with us until the New Jerusalem is established on the earth – and of course, that won’t happen until after the millenium. Both 1 Cor 15, which you pointed out, and Rev 21, appear to state that fact.

I did not really know anything about the kingdom until a few years ago – but that information has been a great blessing to me since then. This future hope that I can actually relate to (as opposed to the mainstream idea of sitting on clouds, playing the harp…) has certainly given me something to look forward to!

Brian

3. on 06 Oct 2009 at 1:43 pmRandy

John,
    I agree with your article except when you state that Adam and Eve would have lived forever if they had not sinned. When banished from Eden God placed and angel at the entrances so they could not re-enter and partake of the tree of life for upon doing so they would have eternal life, (paraphrased). How do you handle that scenario if you believe they already had eternal life. If one has eternal life or are said to be eternal, can they now be deemed mortal? I tend to think they did not have eternal life and the penalty or their sin was “separation” from God and the fellowship they enjoyed while in the garden.

It would appear that God created man and animals as mortals, deemed to eventually die. If they had not sinned perhaps they would have been able to partake of the ‘tree of life” and as you stated by doing so, been able to live forever in the garden.

4. on 06 Oct 2009 at 1:43 pmRandy

Sorry, I was referencing Brian’s statement and not John’s.

5. on 06 Oct 2009 at 2:05 pmBrian Keating

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your comment. I actually tend to agree with you – i.e., I also believe that Adam and Eve were not created with everlasting life. In other words, I believe that they were created as morals.

The point I was trying to make is that if Adam and Eve had never sinned, then they would not have been banished from the garden – and as a result, they would have been able to eat from the tree of life. That, in turn, would have allowed them to live forever, on the earth. (Of course, that is basically what you mentioned at the end of your post.)

Brian

6. on 06 Oct 2009 at 2:47 pmKen

The creation of Adam and Eve on a perfect earth certainly indicates that people were meant to be earth dwellers. Revelation 21: 3 indicates that God will “dwell” with resurrected humans on the earth.
    It is really not a matter of our preferences or our theology: God’s will is to be implemented on earth as it is in heaven- when His kingdom comes, as we are taught to pray (in anticipation – Matthew 6: 10.)
    If God had meant us to look forward to living as disembodied “spirits” in heaven, He could have and would have spelled out things very differently in Scriptural records. The reiterated “kingdom coming to earth” concept is His idea, expressed in His chosen vocabulary, not our wish, not our invention.

7. on 08 Oct 2009 at 8:39 amRandy

Brian
    I have to speak at church on the 18th, I came across you three aspects of “eternal life.” I would like your permission to print those off and use as a handout during my talk.

8. on 08 Oct 2009 at 11:15 amBrian Keating

Hi Randy,

Sure, by all means – use whatever you like from my posts! Good luck with your talk!

Brian

9. on 07 Jul 2010 at 9:55 pmDoubting Thomas

Brian
    I just read your series of 9 articles titled “Kingdom Study” and found them very informative and enlightening. I couldn’t find one thing in any of them that I appeared to disagree with. You wrote these articles in the fall of 2009 just prior to me finding this website. I would recommend these articles to anyone who is new (like myself) to this website…

10. on 08 Jul 2010 at 12:40 amBrian Keating

Thanks DT – I appreciate it!

11. on 08 Jul 2010 at 5:30 pmDavid

I love it! I will certainly have to get to reading the rest of the series. It’s invigorating to know that Christians today are “getting” the idea of why we are here and the plan G-d has for his Kingdom on Earth. The kingdom to be ruled by his Son. For so long this has been only a Jewish concept, with Christianity joining the “better life on another plane” bandwagon. One wrong idea, starts a domino effect of other bad ideas spawning. Not only did our father’s teach us false, but by doing so also robbed us of our purpose.

12. on 08 Jul 2010 at 5:52 pmDoubting Thomas

David
    I’m not sure if you are an Old Earth Creationist or not (I am) but you seemed to hint that you were in some of your comments. There is another interesting article titled “Old Testament Foundation (Part 1)” written by Mark C. and dated Mar 3rd. 2010. I think you will find the comments section very interesting. Unfortunately there are currently 212 comments located there so it is a lot of reading.

Basically Robert, Margaret and myself are all Old Earth Creationists and the other posters are not. Anywaze, I thought you might find the comment section interesting. I would love to hear your opinions/comments.

BTW – I hope you had a nice camping trip…

13. on 09 Jul 2010 at 4:06 amWolfgang

Hi Brian,

you mentioned above

on what is the assumption based that “eating from the tree of life” would have “allowed them to live forever, ON THE EARTH”?

It rather seems that the life on earth (in the garden) was meant to be “a testing phase” during which period man (even Adam and Eve) would be either obeying or disobeying God … resulting in either death (disobedience / sin would mean death, no eternal life) or eternal life in the presence of God.

It doesn’t seem to me that Adam and Eve were originally equipped with eternal life to live forever in the garden … and yet, on that very idea many Christians today are basing their assumption that in the end God will restore man again to that very state of living forever on the earth. It seems that already the premise for those type of conclusions is “off track” …

Doesn’t it become obvious when we read the NT scriptures, that there are 2 “spheres, realms” (for lack of better terms) mentioned which follow for us one on the other: (1) the physical, visible, temporal, earth => (2) the spiritual, invisible, eternal, heaven (??

2Co 4:18 – 5:1
    18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.
    5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

Doesn’t Scripture (for example in Heb) show clearly that the 1st sphere is only “a foreshadow” of the 2nd?? Why then do folks want to promote eternal life on earth, when Scripture connects earth with temporal life and places things eternal with the heavenly realm?

14. on 09 Jul 2010 at 12:12 pmBrian Keating

Hi Wolfgang,

It looks like we are going to go through this same conversation, once again 🙂 Basically, one of the arguments against the kingdom being on the earth goes like this:

“The promises of the kingdom being on the earth only exist in the Old Testament. Those promises have been superseded by the New Testament, which states that humans will live in heaven.”

In other words, the thought is that the New Testament does not mention anything about humans living on the earth, during the kingdom of God. Is that actually true? Well, let’s take a look:

Matthew 5:5
    5Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Revelation 5:10
    10You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God; and they will reign upon the earth.

Revelation 21:2-3
    2And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.

So far, I have not found any verse in Scripture which clearly states that humans will live in heaven – but I have found plenty of verses – in both the Old and New Testaments – which explicitly state that humans will live on the earth, during the kingdom of God!

Brian

15. on 09 Jul 2010 at 12:31 pmWolfgang

Brian,

??
    I suppose you did not read the passages I mentioned ??

What time frame do you have in mind when you write something like the above “live on earth, DURING the kingdom of God”? From what you write, it seems that you are of the opinion that God’s reign (kingdom) is currently not in existence?

Revelation 21:2-3

Have you compared this to what the apostle Paul wrote in Eph 2? Is the church of the body of Christ, including the believers living on earth now, not His habitation, even now?

16. on 09 Jul 2010 at 3:22 pmBrian Keating

Hi Wolfgang,

The context of 2 Corinthians 4 and 5 contrasts “natural” (mortal) bodies with “spiritual” (immortal) bodies. So, what I get from the verses that you quoted is as follows: when Jesus returns, we will be granted spiritual bodies – so that we will never die again.

I certainly do not see anything in those verses (or any other) which state: “When a believer dies, he goes to heaven to live with God there.” I do, however, see many verses that state: “When the kingdom is established, believers will live forever in the kingdom – on the earth.”

Brian