Servetus the Evangelical Revealed

Today Servetus the Evangelical revealed his true identity. He is Kermit Zarley. Below is taken directly from his website:

Once I posted the last clue, on Monday, November 15, which subtly indicated that golf was my favorite sport, there was a flurry of guesses starting early Tuesday. On Thursday morning, November 18, Steve Noel and then James White posted on their websites that it was me. Due to their posts, in the closing hours that day several dozen websites posted the same.

As for The Contest, no one guessed me until I posted that last clue on Monday, November 15th. Of course, I thought several people would then guess me, which did happen, even before the two posts by Noel and White. I will still send autographed books to all who entered The Contest and guessed correctly before The Contest ended. So, CONGRATULATIONS to the following twelve winners who entered The Contest and guessed my identity, who are listed in chronological order: Doug Ward (Tuesday, 11/16, at 11:05 AM), Ben Malik, Carlos, Centro Ebenezer, Steve Noel, Patick Biglane, Gene Dylewski, Bassam Zawadi, D. Gayle, Mike Roberts, Dean Furlong, and Ken Cook.

Why did I end The Contest almost two years prior to my announcement that it would end on September 29, 2011, the birthday of both me and Michael Servetus? It’s because I have reinvented the book!!! No joke. It is now patent pending and has the trademark Triangle Book because it has a built-in bookstand that makes a triangle formation. In about two weeks my book, The Restitution of Jesus Christ, will be available in this format on this website. For this and other reasons, it was becoming reluctantly clear to me that in order to proceed with my plans for this invention, I would have to divulge my anonymity as the author of this book.

My plans are to try to license this book invention to publishers. Tomorrow, I leave for New Orleans to attend the Annual Meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature. I have been a member of this organization the past ten years. I will begin showing my Triangle Book invention to publishers there. I don’t know if it will ever impact the trade book market; but we think it will do so with certain hardback niche markets that benefit from the stand-alone function, such as manuals, gift books, cookbooks, and perhaps textbooks. More information about it will be available soon on my new website: trianglebook.com.

I would be interested to see Dr. Zarley plans to do now. Will he debate Dr. James White?

48 Responses to “Servetus the Evangelical Revealed”

1. on 19 Nov 2009 at 11:00 amXavier

I won the prize… 😛

2. on 19 Nov 2009 at 11:25 amTim

Hmm … never heard of him, but I am reading his book and find it very readable and pretty acessible.

As an aside, I found out the other day that James White’s doctorates are not from an accredited university. From what I understand, he pretty much made up his curriculum, did not defend in front of a committee and otherwise did not go through the rigor required of such a degree.

Not that this mattersa whole lot (some of the best Bible teachers I have known never went to college; some did not even finish high school), but you should not go around saying you have a doctorate if you made it up for yourself from a non-university.

I would very much like to see ‘Dr.’ White debate a real Biblical unitarian.

Congrats Xavier!!

3. on 19 Nov 2009 at 12:31 pmStacey

congrats Xavier, I never heard of this man either, what is his profession? Why was he so worried about coming forth with his identity? I dont understand? lol
    Xavier did you win a book? I didnt see your name?

4. on 19 Nov 2009 at 12:52 pmXavier

Thanx Tim,

Problem with James White is his whole sarcastic, flippant attitude…gets on anyone’s nerves.

If anything, I wish Anthony Buzzard would go head to head with the fool!

5. on 19 Nov 2009 at 12:54 pmXavier

Stacey,

Like Kermit [no wonder he used a pseudonym] I also go under another name 🙂

You can find out more about him here:

6. on 19 Nov 2009 at 2:26 pmStacey

Lol yea true!!! why do you go by another name? altho I do like Xavier, I am not to fond of my name either!
    I will look at those sights thank you! 🙂
    by the way I agree with the other post Mere man when there was a comment about how calm your posts are it is a wonderful gift God has graced you with!
    God bless!

7. on 19 Nov 2009 at 8:02 pmJohnO

I really don’t think a golfer should go around calling himself a Doctor.

8. on 19 Nov 2009 at 9:47 pmXavier

Stace,

Xavier is part of my name [hint hint] 🙂

Thanx for your kind words as well, I think as Christians we should strive to and “ALWAYS be prepared to give an answer to EVERYONE who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have…with GENTLENESS and RESPECT” [1Pe 3.15].

John O,

I think Kermit has an honorary theological degree, but I don’t think he goes “around calling himself a Doctor” [then again, I may be wrong, don’t know the man]. Regardless, let’s hope he helps our cause and most importantly continues to preach the health giving words of our Lord Jesus.

9. on 19 Nov 2009 at 10:41 pmTim

JohnO (#7) – I’m with you on that as well …

10. on 20 Nov 2009 at 1:33 amMark C.

Xavier is right. Zarley doesn’t “go around calling himself a doctor.” As he wrote on his web site:

6/09 Servetus the Evangelical has a doctorate.
    [This is one of those clues I warned contestants about when I said that some clues would be designed to throw people off the track in trying to guess my identity. North Park University awarded me an honorary doctorate in 2001 due to my literary accomplishments. I thought that due to this clue, some people would think I was a theology professor at some institution of higher learning, and that’s what happened. My only professorship has been in the school of hard knocks–knocking that little white ball around the park, that is.]

11. on 20 Nov 2009 at 1:57 amXavier

Mark C,

here here!

You know I may be wrong but I do not think we should start criticizing or belittling this new found “brother in Christ” for whatever motivations [or personal reasons] he had for “perpetrating” this whole “charade” [as some say].

Why don’t we instead support him now that we know who he is. Maybe we forget how hard not only intellectually, but emotionally and relationship wise it is to come to the sound doctrine. I know too many fellow brethren who are going through tough personal times due to their christian beliefs.

I hazzard to guess that each one of us of the One God and “faith of Abraham” knows someone as well. As scripture commands us to do:

Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward TO MATURITY…Even though we speak like this, dear friends, we are convinced of better things in your case—the things that have to do with salvation…We want each of you to SHOW THIS SAME DILIGENCE to the very end, in order TO MAKE YOUR HOPE SURE. We do not want you to become lazy, but to IMITATE THOSE THROUGH WHO FAITH AND PATIENCE INHERIT WHAT HAS BEEN PROMISED.

Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, LOVE ONE ANOTHER DEEPLY, from the heart. For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God… this is the word that was preached to you. Heb 6; 1Pe 1.22-25

12. on 20 Nov 2009 at 7:42 amRay

Is there one verse in the Bible that says that Jesus is not God?

I haven’t found even one.

There are many verses that tell us who he is (the Son of God) and what he is, but not one verse have I found that says that Jesus is not God.

13. on 20 Nov 2009 at 9:14 amRay

Is there some sense in which Jesus can be God, if this man can be Servetus the Evangelical?

When Jesus is revealed, will he be more as God unto us than this man is as Servetus?

14. on 20 Nov 2009 at 9:49 amFrank D

Numbers 23:19:
    God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?

I Timothy 2:5:
    For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

God is not a man. Jesus is a man. Therefore, Jesus is not God!

2Timothy 2:14-17
    Remind them of these things, and charge them before God not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers. Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness, and their talk will spread like gangrene.

15. on 20 Nov 2009 at 11:47 amStacey

I agree with Xavier #11 we need to be more compassionate with eachother our Father is very compassionate and slow to anger, Lamentations 3:22
    It is of YAWEH’s lovingkindnesses that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
    Lamentations 3:32
    For though he cause grief, yet will he have compassion according to the multitude of his lovingkindnesses.
    Look at how much compassion Jesus (the Son of God) was with the people who were tourchering and beating and mocking him on the cross, he asked his Father God to forgive them for they not know what they do.
    Luke 23:34
    And Jesus said, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And parting his garments among them, they cast lots.

And of course I agree with Frank D #14
    We all have a mother and father, now do we say we are our parents no we say we are like our parents in some ways but not the same being as our parent!
    God is Jesus’s Father and Mary is his mother, that does not make Jesus God his Father we do not say Jesus is Mary, she carried him for 9 months why do we not ask if he is Mary then?

Mark 10:17 And as he was going forth into the way, there ran one to him, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?

18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good save one, even God.
    Here he (Jesus) is saying why call me good? noone is good but the Father God! It also speeks about this in Luke 18.

God gave Jesus the power over the angels Jesus is at the right hand throne of God, He is our mediator, and upon his return he will be King of Kings and Lord of Lords!!! He will have all the power over everything until he hands the Kingdom over to YAWEH!

16. on 20 Nov 2009 at 12:54 pmRay

Frank,

I certainly agree that there is a difference between God and man.
    I also believe that Jesus in character is much closer to God than men.

There is a striving about words that do not profit a man, then there is a considering of words and a study of the word that benefits our understanding.

I believe it would not be robbery for Jesus to say that he is God,
    but what I see in scripture is him taking upon himself the form of a servant of God, and coming into this world in the physical substance of man, without taking part in man’s evil ways, except in doing so as a sacrifice, holy and acceptable unto God. In that manner of life only, he took part in man’s evil ways, and by it, taking men away from their bondage of sin, through the forgiveness of God, and his atoning work. 1.

I believe God and Jesus worked together in bringing about the message of our salvation through Jesus and his blood which was shed because of us and for us.

It was not robbery for the apostle Paul to say that for him ..”to live is Christ”.., nor should I see it robbery if I should see in scripture
    Jesus say that he is God.

I can not say that I have actually seen Jesus say that in the scripture. I only say that should I see it, I should not think it to be robbery.

1. I say that Jesus took part in the evil ways of man only in the way of the cross, in suffering the sins of men that came upon him.
    In that manner of life (the cross) he took an active part in our evil
    deeds.

17. on 20 Nov 2009 at 1:05 pmRay

I can’t help but think about Old Testament Believers. I wonder about how they might have put together some scriptures.

OTB 1 – ..”Well we know that God is not a man.”
    OTB2 – “Yet, he appeared unto Abraham in the form of a man.”
    OTB1- “Do you think he might do that again? Will he visit his
    people again that way?”
    OTB2- “Won’t he send his Son? Do you remember the prophecy
    of Agur the son of Jakeh? (see Proverbs 30:4)
    OTB1- “And what do you think the world will do to him?”
    OTB2- “The things Isaiah and the other prophets wrote of him.”

18. on 20 Nov 2009 at 1:18 pmMark C.

Is there one verse in the Bible that says that Jesus is not God?

I haven’t found even one.

When Jesus is called God in those very few places where he is so called, nobody at the time it was written thought he was actually THE CREATOR GOD in human form. They understood it to mean in a representational sense. There was no need to explain it until the Trinity doctrine came along.

Nevertheless, there are verses which say that the Father is the only true God, and that Jesus is a man, the mediator between God and man. By sheer logic, that says he is not God.

John 17:3 This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

I Corinthians 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

Ephesians 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

I Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

19. on 20 Nov 2009 at 2:07 pmStacey

Ray,
    You said[ “OTB2 – “Yet, he appeared unto Abraham in the form of a man.”]

Yet no where in the scriptures does it say this.

Exodus 6:3
    and I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, as God Almighty; but by my name Jehovah I was not known to them.
    Acts 7:2 And he said, Brethren and fathers, hearken: The God of glory appeared unto our father Abraham, when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Haran,
    Titus 2:11
    For the grace of God hath appeared, bringing salvation to all men,

There are many scriptures that talk about God appearing to someone never does it say HE appears as a man?

20. on 20 Nov 2009 at 2:32 pmFrank D

Instead of going over the entire debate, Ray, can’t you go through the numerous articles that are posted on this site and respond to those articles where you have specific questions?

This thread topic is about Kermit Zarley. I pray God gives him strength to withstand the possible scourging (figurative) he is going to receive from the Orthodox Christian community.

21. on 20 Nov 2009 at 3:06 pmKen

A leading Jew put a question to Jesus.’Good master,’ he said, ‘what am I to do to get this eternal life that God promised?’ Jesus said to him: ‘Why call me good? No one is good except God.’
    Luke 18:18- 19 is one of many places in which Jesus distinguishes himself from God. In fact , Jesus could not have been more clear in stating he is NOT YHWH, the one true God of the the Bible.
    Jesus’ identity as God’s representative was not seriously confused by those professing to believe in him until later – say at the writing of 1st John (about 90-95 A.D.)
    Clear (or unclear) trinitarian thinking took a couple of more centuries to develop.

22. on 20 Nov 2009 at 4:20 pmTim

We have to be careful about what evidence we provide, or expect, to answer the question such as “Is there one verse in the Bible that says that Jesus is not God?”

FrankD – your verses do not directly support this; none of them say that Jesus is not God, but it can be inferred from these verses that maybe Jesus is not God.

When I ask a trinitarian, “show me in the Bible where it says ‘Jesus is God'” they respond with verses that they infer that Jesus is God (these verses should be familiar to all on this list), but there are no verses that say “Jesus is not God” just as there are no verses in which Jesus says “I am not God.”

We should expect that same evidence and logical methods from ourselves that we expect from others.

23. on 20 Nov 2009 at 5:40 pmFrank D

I understand, Tim.

24. on 20 Nov 2009 at 8:42 pmRay

Mark,
    What are those verses you talk about where Jesus is so called in very few places? (post 18)

25. on 20 Nov 2009 at 8:47 pmRay

Stacey, I was thinking of where the Lord appeared unto Moses as he sat in the door of his tent, at the time. It seems to me he came with two witnesses, two angels, who went into Sodom. (see Genesis 18)

26. on 20 Nov 2009 at 8:49 pmRay

Frank,

If people can be salt and light, then it seems to me that Jesus can be God.

27. on 20 Nov 2009 at 9:46 pmXavier

In all honesty, I think we should ignore such questions as “Is there one verse in the Bible that says that Jesus is not God?”, and stop flooding the blog with such diatribe.

It really does not lead anywhere and edifies no one since this point has become moot in this here blog.

28. on 21 Nov 2009 at 5:24 amMark C.

Mark,

See my website:

29. on 21 Nov 2009 at 8:32 amRay

Mark, Thank you for the offer.

I myself have never seen where Jesus is so called God in the scripture, though I have noticed where he is called the word of God, and referred to as The Mighty God by name, and these things are rightfuly so for he is as the heavenly Father is.

So there is a sense in which Jesus is what you ascribe to him and also what others have said about him whether by simile, allegory,
    likeness, comparisons, likeness, or to some “..like what- EVER.”, that is good in scripture.

I have a question for all of us on this blog. It’s about cranberry sauce, since Thanksgiving is coming up and all.

Do you prefer the jellied kind or the whole berry kind?

I prefer the jellied myself.

30. on 21 Nov 2009 at 10:15 amFrank D

Please join me in sending Kermit Zarley an e-mail of encouragement. His e-mail can be found on the web site link at the top.

Thank you brother Frank for those encouraging words, that wonderful scripture by the apostle Paul, and that you are praying for me.
    Blessings to you,
    Kermit

Mr. Zarley, My prayer is for God to continue to bless you. Your recent
    revelation to the Orthodox Christian community may come with repercussions. Know that there are believers who hold fast to the truth of one God, the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and his son, the man Jesus and we are praying for you. Thank you for your study and writing and your faithful stand.

Your brother, Frank.

Eph 3:14-21 (ESV)

For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith-that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the
    love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do
    far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

31. on 21 Nov 2009 at 10:57 amXavier

Already extended my hand in fellowship Frank D. Thanx for the reminder and may God bless you for such a gesture.

32. on 21 Nov 2009 at 1:15 pmRay

What’s a sectarian spirit?

33. on 21 Nov 2009 at 3:13 pmJohn Paul

wow somebody delete my last comment. I just read the thing with him talking about using the dr. title mainly as a throw-off-the-sent kind of clue.

34. on 21 Nov 2009 at 3:23 pmJohn Paul

And while we’re coming out, I’m the one who disguised his voice for the Truth Matters show.
    I’ve never done that before but I had a lot of fun doing it.

35. on 21 Nov 2009 at 8:05 pmSean

and you did a great job 🙂

36. on 22 Nov 2009 at 9:31 amRay

Was the real Servetus a captive of the sectarian spirit as were those who killed him, or was he a martyr of Jesus? Could he have
    done anything different?

37. on 22 Nov 2009 at 9:14 pmXavier

His Ashes Cry Out Against John Calvin By Dan Corner:

THE RIGHT TO HERESY
    OR, HOW JOHN CALVIN KILLED A CONSCIENCE by Zweig
    Castellio Against Calvin

38. on 23 Nov 2009 at 1:42 pmRay

Thank you Xavier for that article by Dan Corner. I read part of it.
    What happened reminded me of the crucifixion of our Lord.

I wonder what the theological error was which they wanted Servetus to acknowledge.

Was he saying that Jesus is not God?

To many, that would be like saying that people can not be salt nor light.

39. on 24 Nov 2009 at 2:29 pmRay

I just finished reading the article by Dan Corner about what happened to Servetus, and noticed the time of all this. It was
    not long before the 1599 Geneva Bible was written, a Bible that
    I like because of the study notes.

I was many times amazed at the insight of the study notes, but at the same time I was surprized to see such Trinitarian views.

Those who wrote the study notes of the 1599 Geneva may have been elder men. I wonder if any of them were around when this happened to Servetus. They may very well have been.

40. on 24 Nov 2009 at 3:50 pmRay

…see when I ordered the 1599 Geneva Bible, they didn’t tell me about Michael Servetus…just about the pilgrims and the Mayflower and everything, you know…

41. on 24 Nov 2009 at 8:19 pmXavier

According to the record of Servetus’ trial at Geneva and his subsequent interrogation by Cavlin himself and his henchmen. They sought a retraction of Servetus anti-Trinutarian views, which they consdiered HERESY. But at the last, it appears from such historical accounts by Zweig and others [see Right to Heresy by Zweig] that all Servetus had to do was confess Jesus as: “the eternal Son of the Living God”.

But, it appears he was unable to do this, even though he faced being burned alive. And it is said that his last cry whilst on the pyre was: “have mercy on me Jesus, the Son of the eternal God!”

42. on 25 Nov 2009 at 11:21 amRay

Xavier, this is really something. Was it that at the time, this was not made clear to him, or because of all the evil all around him that
    it makes it hard for a man to think clearly, or what?

So often when men want to do evil, they will make accusation without mention of any specific sin. That is often because they are under a spirit of accusation.

This leaves a man wondering….”What ?….What did I do?”

This reminds me of witchcraft. Evil is often all connected.

If a wife tells her husband, “You offended me.” We can see accusation, but what is the specific sin? In that statement there is no mention of it, so the man walks around confussed trying to figure out what it is all about. I consider those kind of things witchcraft because it’s of the flesh, and it’s meant to exercise some ungodly influence or power over another, a way of using some kind of control. It’s influence is evil.

I wonder if Michael Servetus was caught up in all that kind of thing.
    It seemed to me as I read about what happened to him that his accusers were unwilling to hear anything, and so it seems that the
    door is shut. Despair and hopelessness enter in. What can a man do in such a condition. He must hope in God. It is spiritual warfare.

I wish I knew more about this. It is interesting.

43. on 25 Nov 2009 at 10:30 pmRay

I would like to encourage everyone to read the two articles Xavier gave us in post 37. I ask you to think also about how God has desired in the past, an intercessor.

How might a person intercede?

When a person speaks up against some injustice, and he is not personaly involved by any actions of his past, he begins by being clean in the matter.

He may then make some kind of plea for mercy when he sees an injustice done. He may do so for anyone oppressed. The one he pleas for need not be righteous. As he does so in godliness and honesty, no one should be able to rebuke him. He should be able to be above rebuke.

Here’s an example from a story a friend told me.

He was at a race event. After the race had just ended, out in the gravel parking lot, someone in a truck began driving wildly in tight circles. His tires were throwing rock and there was dust everywhere. People were at this time begining to walk out into the parking lot.

He saw two men grab for the driver’s door as the truck stopped.
    The driver was pulled out and the two began to beat him and use
    racial slurs and profane language as they did so.

My friend ran over there and said loudly enough to be heard something like, (this being his plea for mercy) ” Stop it!,He’s Drunk! He’s
    Drunk! He doesn’t know what he’s doing! Call the Police! Somebody with a Cell phone ,Call the Police.” Someone said, “The
    Police are on their way!”

The two men got off of the man who was on the ground by now.

Notice how he did not plead for the righteous, for the driver was far from being just and good, but he did make a plea for the oppressed.

What could men do in Michael Servetus’ situation? I believe the Church needs intercessors, those that are willing to stand in the gap when necessary.

I believe it was God who was working through my friend and also through those who called the Police, possibly even through the two men who Stopped beating the man.

44. on 14 Jun 2012 at 9:46 pmFranklin Eugene Rhoads

Peace greetings ALL!,

I am one who does not believe or confess the doctrine “Jesus IS God!” I confess what Scripture asks me to confess, and that is that Yahshua is the Messiah the son of the living Yahweh. Nowhere in Scripture am I ever asked to confess and believe “Jesus IS God!”. My web page has many links with studies on this doctrine that I believe to be foolish, false, deceptive, and demonic.

45. on 14 Jun 2012 at 11:03 pmSarah

Welcome, Franklin! Great to hear from another like-minded believer. What’s the address for your website?

46. on 15 Jun 2012 at 1:21 amRon S.

Sarah,

If you’ll notice, his name is green which indicates that it is a live link. When Franklin signed up on KR, he put a website link in there. My guess is that the page you are taken to when you click his name is his own website. But of course he can clarify that if he is willing. 🙂

47. on 15 Jun 2012 at 2:42 pmFranklin Eugene Rhoads

Peace greetings Sarah and Ron S.,

Yes Sarah, Ron S. is correct. You can also check out my page where I have my web pages linked at: http://yahweh.yolasite.com .

And thank you for the kind welcome. I found this web site doing a Google search and found the printable tracts at: http://lhim.org/resources/tracts/tract-jesus.pdf and copied 50 of them to distribute here in Richmond, Indiana where I am presently a resident. I am in agreement with everything that is said on this tract. Thank you!

48. on 15 Jun 2012 at 10:31 pmSarah

Whoops, forgot about the clickable name feature of the blog. Thanks Ron.

Good information on your site, Franklin. It’s really great to hear you’re promoting truth over there in Indiana! I’d be interested in hearing a little more of your background in terms of how you became a unitarian?