Jehoshaphat’s DeliveranceBy John Cortright on 04/26/2020
Psalm 107:1-32 - A Psalm of deliverance
There is a chorus in this psalm (Verses 8, 15, 21, and 31).
Let them give thanks to Yahweh for His lovingkindness,
And for His wonders to the sons of men!
2 Chronicles 20:1-30
Jehoshaphat’s deliverance provides a great lesson today.
2 Chr 20:1-2
A great multitude from three nations, Moab, Ammon, and Edom, gathered to come up against Judah.
2 Chr 20:3-4
Jehoshaphat was afraid, but he turned his attention to seek Yahweh.
2 Chr 20:5-13
Jehoshaphat’s prayer is a great example to follow when you are in need of deliverance.
2 Chr 20:14-20
The spirit of God came upon a prophet, and Jehoshaphat heard from God. He had God’s promise upon which he could base his faith and subsequent actions.
2 Chr 20:21-25
The people of Judah acted in faith on God’s promise. God brought about complete deliverance!
2 Chronicles 20:26-30
After receiving deliverance, the people responded with joy and praise.
Lessons from Jehoshaphat’s Deliverance
- He set his heart to seek Yahweh in fasting and prayer.
- He magnified Yahweh.
- He rehearsed what God had done in the past for His people.
- He brought Scripture - the promise of God - into his prayer.
- He was specific about his current situation in his petition to God.
- He acknowledged his powerlessness.
- He waited and heard God speak. He received the specific promise and direction.
- He consulted with the assembly.
- They walked out on faith - acted upon what God had said.
- They praised God - they blessed Yahweh!
<< Back to Archive