Without Christ, things go very wrong in life. Paul lists 4 problems for those who do not know Christ.
- They walk in the futility of their minds.
- They are darkened in their understanding.
- They are alienated from the life of God.
- They have lost all sensitivity and given themselves over to unrestrained behavior.
Christ followers are called to change. Paul commands 3 changes that we are called to make after having learned the truth that is in Jesus.
- Put off the old self (cf. Eph 2:1-3).
- Be renewed in the spirit of your mind (cf. Eph 3:16).
- Put on the new self (Col 3:5-9; Rom 13:11-14).
Verses 25-32 begin the ethical instruction for living Christ-like according to the new self.
Out of all the godly behaviors Paul lists, he ends with the need to show forgiveness. Forgiveness is to be a defining characteristic of Christ’s followers.
<< Ephesians 4:1-16 | Ephesians 5:1-21 >>
Weekly Bible Teaching Archive