Chapter 11 is the record of Lazarus being raised from the dead. This caused many to believe in Jesus.
(The purpose of John is recorded in John 20:30-31 – to believe that Jesus is the Christ – the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name).
The Pharisees convened a council and planned to kill Jesus
Jesus went to the city of Ephraim (20 miles N of Jerusalem). Many were traveling to Jerusalem.
Jesus went to Bethany six days before Passover. Many came, not only to see Jesus, but also to see Lazarus.
John 12:12-18 – The Triumphal Entry
This is recorded in all four Gospels (Luke 19:29-38; Mark 11:1-10; Matthew 21:1-11).
Here is what the people were doing and saying:
- They spread branches of palm trees and their coats on the road (2 Kings 9:12-13).
- They praised God joyfully with a loud voice for all the miracles which they had seen.
- “Hosanna!” (Hebrew root yasha na meaning “save now”, “deliver us now”, “Do save” - Ps 118:25)
- “Hosanna to the son of David!”
- “Hosanna in the highest!”
- “King of Israel”
- “Blessed is the coming kingdom of our father David”.
- “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord” (Ps 118:19-26 – LORD = Yahweh).
John 12:18-19, Luke 19:39-40 – The Pharisees were concerned about the crowd.
John 12:20-37 – They could not understand how Christ could be lifted up and die.
Luke 19:11-28 – Before making this triumphal entry, Jesus spoke this parable “because they supposed the kingdom of God was going to appear immediately”. Be faithful – Jesus Christ is coming back!
<< Spiritual Warfare 1
Weekly Bible Teaching Archive